progeCAD support, tips and troubleshooting forum. progeCAD works very similar to some versions of AutoCAD. Moderated.

Moderators: caddit, Moderators

#236 by caddit
Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:56 am
Hi rover,

This has only started since you "Restored Toolbar and Menu"? Do any other applications behave strangely?

Does the "Start" drawing box appear at all when the crash happens? Is it set to "From Template"?

What happens when you type "_PNEW" at the command line (upper case)?
What happens when you type "_pnew" at the command line (lower case)?
What happens when you type "PNEW" at the command line (no underscore)?

Also, have you tried rebooting at all?

#237 by rover
Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:00 am
#240 by zoomout
Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:20 am
Hello again. It's been a while since i re-opened my progecad.
I forgot to post this problem before about starting a new drawing.
I just can't make a new drawing. When i try File/New, or PNEW, there goes a text in the command box saying: "unable to recognize command; please try again". is this a bug? thanks!
#242 by zoomout
Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:59 am
Hello, caddit! Thanks for the quick reply.
"_PNEW" still wouldn't work. i've tried it in both lower and uppercase and i still get the text on the command line, "Unable to recognize command. Please try again."

By the way, I am using progeCAD 2008 Professional.
Thanks, Caddit!
#247 by caddit
Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:02 pm
Sorry for the delay. I had to do some digging for this one.

The actual code for the progeCAD _pnew ("File: New") function is defined in utilnew.dll which is located with the rest of your progeCAD program files - typically "C:\Program Files\progeSOFT\progeCAD 2008 Pro ENG" for progeCAD Professional.

This .dll file is NOT listed in the icad.sds, so don't look for it there. This dependency is hardcoded into progeCAD itself.

TRY THIS:
reload utilnew.dll from your progeCAD program directory using the APPLOAD command. It prints a message on command line if it's already loaded. If not, something is wrong.

WHAT COULD BE WRONG?
utilnew.dll depends on two legally re-distributable self-registered OCX controls from Autodesk (included in progeCAD installer): "slide.ocx" and "dwgthumbnail.ocx". But these usually "just work" and are rarely the problem. But look in your "WINDOWS\SYSTEM32" directory and make sure they are there (and you have read permissions to them as user).

Did you install progeCAD with system administrator rights to begin with?

Also, have you changed your main support path or working directory of his progeCAD shortcut? Any other large environment changes or installation/uninstallation of DWG-related software since installing progeCAD?

CONCLUSION:
Please try to manually load "utilnew.dll" from your progeCAD program directory using the APPLOAD command and copy and paste the whole results from your progeCAD command line to this thread! Thank you and sorry for any inconvenience.