progeCAD support, tips and troubleshooting forum. progeCAD works very similar to some versions of AutoCAD. Moderated.

Moderators: caddit, Moderators

#945 by seasdes
Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:37 pm
Just after I paid for the upgrade from 2009 to 2010. I find the ProgeCAD 2010 is terribly slow in saving. PC specs Pentium m laptop. Nvidia Geforce Go 6600. Printer Progesoft PDF (same with other drivers). Recently defragged, Hard disk spare capacity 66 Gb. CCleaner run today. No problems with other software, including Bricscad V10.

Help me please.

Seasdes
#946 by caddit
Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:47 am
Hi seasdes,

Can you give us a little more detail about this problem you started having with the new release?

This problem comes up time to time with different users. Can you give us an example of "slow" i.e. file size vs. time to save? Improvements have been made and on a standard system save time is at least 10% faster, so sounds like something here afoot.

Which operating system are you running now? Is the slow saving drawing one with external blocks, xrefs or in any way tied to network information? Do you have any network printers or folders installed?

What kind of anti-virus / security software do you run?

BTW the next years version of progeCAD will be based on official (yet to be released) IntelliCAD 7 / DRX technology - it will be much faster.

#948 by seasdes
Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:24 pm
Caddit
+ In response to your questions.
+ Slow save time takes 15-20 secs
+ File size - Approx 600 kb
+ Operating system XP Pro SP3 & all latest updates
+ No external Xrefs or blocks. No network use.
+ Network printers. Shared printers Canon Laser LPB3500, HP Officejet K8600
+ Antivirus software - Norton internet security 2010
+ Look forward to the next version. However I have to get this version to work.
Seasdes

#949 by seasdes
Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:49 pm
PS Drawing has proxy objects which were not converted.
Seasdes
#950 by caddit
Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:23 pm
hello seasdes,

Can we have a look at the proxy object (does it come from ADT)? Can you send the drawing to:

15 secs is definitely unusual. Just of curiosity, can you see if anything improves when you completely turn off Norton?
#951 by caddit
Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:13 pm
Hello seasdes,

Our lab has your file. Here are our test results:

Opening and re-saving the file without any conversion of Autodesk add-on / proxy objects takes 2 seconds on Windows XP SP2/3.

Opening and re-saving the file with block or text conversion of Autodesk add-on / proxy objects takes about the same time.

Running audit returns numerous errors which we would expect to result from invalid reactor IDs of foreign proxy objects. But in no case do we come to a situation requiring more than 2-3 seconds to save the file.

Do you experience slow save times with files not containing proxy objects which we can test, as well?

Possibly we made need to look elsewhere, perhaps with the network printers. The DWG file specification requires printer information be stored with the drawing at each file save. This means scanning the printer(s) configuration for paper size etc at each file save. NOTE: When we did our SAMBA testing for network printers, we found that shared printer settings made some difference in save time.

Very carefully watch the progress bar (bottom left, in status bar of progeCAD 2010) - Does the status bar pause for several seconds (8-10) then start to "move" (saving) or does it only pause briefly (1 sec.) then just "move" very slowly to take 15 seconds?

Look forward to your answers.
#964 by caddit
Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:55 am
Please also view the points mentioned in the previous discussion for 2009 version:

http://www.caddit.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=426#426

In the past, some printer configurations caused Windows "spoolsv" service to slow progeCAD file saving. Set both progeCAD PDF Printer 2010 (and JPG 2010) to "Print directly to printer" (printer properties box) and see if this also helps.