progeCAD support, tips and troubleshooting forum. progeCAD works very similar to some versions of AutoCAD. Moderated.

Moderators: caddit, Moderators

#717 by yarrateck
Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:34 am
How can I prevent dimensions from being dragged sideways when I want to move is away from the drawing subject.

When I try to move a dimension lines away or closer to something the dimension sometimes moves sideways and does not remain locked to the original points.

If I try to move several dimensions they sometimes all move sideways and if you don't notice it is stuffs everything.

I have tried this on other cad programs and cannot even force them to do this without using a MOVE command or STRETCH.

Can this be fixed in the next revision?

Mike....
#719 by caddit
Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:41 pm
Hi yarrateck,

progeSOFT development has discussed this with CADDIT support in Sydney, no one is really sure what is meant. Again, we don't have an open bug that we know of resembling perhaps what you might mean..

Maybe some more details might help:

1) How are you "moving" the dimensions in question?

2) "they sometimes all move sideways and if you don't notice it is stuffs everything" hmmm... do you mean that the entire dimension moves sideways (that would be hard NOT to notice) or just some part of it? How would this "stuff everything"? I'm sorry I guess its just not clear what is meant.

3) "I have tried this on other cad programs and cannot even force them to do this without using a MOVE command or STRETCH." Which other CAD software, can you be specific. I mean, it must be a pretty sad CAD program that wouldn't offer a basic way to move dimensions..

I guess the problem isn't clear. But I also have a feeling that we will be asking for another drawing, too :D
#720 by yarrateck
Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:23 am
caddit wrote:Hi yarrateck,

progeSOFT development has discussed this with CADDIT support in Sydney, no one is really sure what is meant. Again, we don't have an open bug that we know of resembling perhaps what you might mean..

Maybe some more details might help:

1) How are you "moving" the dimensions in question?

2) "they sometimes all move sideways and if you don't notice it is stuffs everything" hmmm... do you mean that the entire dimension moves sideways (that would be hard NOT to notice) or just some part of it? How would this "stuff everything"? I'm sorry I guess its just not clear what is meant.

3) "I have tried this on other cad programs and cannot even force them to do this without using a MOVE command or STRETCH." Which other CAD software, can you be specific. I mean, it must be a pretty sad CAD program that wouldn't offer a basic way to move dimensions..

I guess the problem isn't clear. But I also have a feeling that we will be asking for another drawing, too :D

I don't think another drawing is necessary as the problem is easily reproduced.

If you highlight one dimension to move it there is no problem, but if you highlight 2 or more dimensions they can move sideways and loose all association with the part which they are dimensioning. They will all move in unison.

This means the quickest way to correct these dimensions is to delete them and redo them.

Sometimes this sideways dimension movement is small and goes un-noticed until later when you check the drawing, you then feel it necessary to re-check all over the drawing again.

I hope this clears up what I was saying.
Mike....
#721 by caddit
Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:38 am
Hi yarrateck,

So are you modifying multiple aligned dimensions created with quick-dimensioning (qdim) command in progeCAD, then using "grips" to drag them? If you are selecting the dimensions on one of the dimension lines themselves, this will indicate that you want to "float" all of the dimensions independently, in unison as you describe, to another (detached) location in the drawing.

Is this what you refer to?

If so, this is how AutoCAD has also behaved in the past, you need to select a grip to drag each one if you want to relocate while maintaining alignment.
#722 by yarrateck
Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:33 am
I have just sorted out whats going on. When you pick the dimension lines themselves the dimensions can move sideways.

I tried this on acad 2000 and it behaves the same way.

The program I was most comfortable with was Acad LT 1998. In this program you cannot move the dimension sideways without using the move command. This, to me, is a lot safer.

It also highlights both arrow points so that it is easier to adjust the position ot 2 dimensions at a time without worrying about moving them sideways.

There is a lot about AcadLT that made me prefer it to autocad.

Mike....
#723 by caddit
Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:58 am
Hi yarrateck,

When you pick the dimension lines themselves the dimensions can move sideways.

Right. That's what I said above.

I tried this on acad 2000 and it behaves the same way.

Right. I said that too.

I have just sorted out whats going on

Glad to here it, nobody here was quite sure what you were on about... I'm glad that's all it was though :D