progeCAD support, tips and troubleshooting forum. progeCAD works very similar to some versions of AutoCAD. Moderated.

Moderators: caddit, Moderators

#2400 by davecoventry
Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:28 am
I have just purchased a license for an upgrade to ProgeCAD 2020, but before I use my registration key, I want to get it running on wine.

I have a recently purchased laptop on which I have Ubuntu 19.10 dual booting with Windows 10 Home.

I also have Virtualbox running a Windows 10 guest.

I have installed wine 5.6 and it runs ProgeCAD beautifully *except* if I use the _MOVE or _COPY commands, whereupon it hangs after the user clicks to enter the base point.

This behaviour is reproducable, so I would imagine it's not uncommon.

Has anyone got a work-around?
#2401 by caddit
Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:55 am
Hi there,

Thanks for your feedback.

Being said, there are many reasons why progeCAD is completely unsupported on 'emulators' like Linux Wine or virtual machines, not the least of which are unexpected errors for systems that we do not test on. There is also the substantial performance penalty for the graphics display, because progeCAD uses direct rendering for this, which involves GPU hardware communication.

Likely you are only scratching the surface with just _MOVE and _COPY problems.

We strongly recommend remaining with the Windows installation with recommended OpenGL support.

Sorry this is probably not the answer that you were hoping for from us, but it is the one that you will find on our progeCAD system requirements.

Thanks.
#2402 by davecoventry
Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:49 am
Thanks for the response, anyway.

I think the way to get around this is to avoid using _MOVE and _COPY and instead use autolisp to gather the base point and the destination point from the user and move/copy the elements using these.

I've written a short routine to do this and will let you know how it goes.