progeCAD support, tips and troubleshooting forum. progeCAD works very similar to some versions of AutoCAD. Moderated.

Moderators: caddit, Moderators

#672 by turbflow
Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:40 am
Good to hear - I certainly look forward to the patch.

Ideally the root cause of this issue can be solved. If not, or if it will take to long, it wouldn't be hard for them to make an in memory copy of the data to be saved (an almost instant operation, even for large drawings) and then to pass the copied data to a separate thread for saving. At least the main thread would then be free user interaction.

#689 by janama
Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:00 am
slowly creeping (no pun intended) back into the software again

I didn't know software crept anywhere. It also doesn't vary so there shouldn't be any creeping back to anything.

I found I was getting long slow saves when I'd assigned to a different pdf file creator, fixed when I went back to the ProgeCAD pdf creator.

#691 by caddit
Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:04 am
I didn't know software crept anywhere. It also doesn't vary so there shouldn't be any creeping back to anything.

It is a figure of speech. By creeping we refer to the gradual re-appearance of certain behaviour, often caused by different factors but resulting in a similar effect. For your information also, software does vary - all the time. It's called development. A seemingly minor improvement in one section of code can have side effects also in other functions, which is why we also rigorously test each release. But it looks like some configurations are still having this problem.

We should have a new fix for this released soon.
#2101 by pbisson
Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:40 pm
This is kind of dated, I know. But, I just wanted to post a work-around. I'm also using the 2008 version (even at this late date in 2014) and having this problem with slow saves. I'm running WinXP SP3 on an old Thinkpad T43. I also have newer versions of ProgeCAD, but for various reasons, I'm using v2008 on this machine. A recent (02.28.2014) chat with ProgeCAD support indicates a patch is neither available or forthcoming. So, a work-around is about all that's available.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the issue is related to the print spooler service and not associated with those PDF or JPG printers that ProgeCAD installs. I can remove them and the problem remains. However, if the print spooler service is stopped, saving drawings happens very quickly, as one would expect. If the print spooler service is restarted, the slow (~30 - 45sec) saves return. Unfortunately, with the print spooler service stopped, you cannot print.

Fortunately, it's easy to start/stop the print spooler service:

In a console window (ie: a 'DOS' box or a "CMD.exe" window), use the 'net' command to stop the service like so:

net stop "Print Spooler"
where the quites around the name and mixed case are required

Re-start the print spooler like so:

net start "Print Spooler"
and again, quotes and mixed case are required

I simply stop the service when I'm working on a drawing, then re-start it when I'm ready to print. It's not ideal, that's for sure. But, as I mentioned, it's a do-able work around and not a true fix.

Hopefully, this will help someone in the future.