progeCAD support, tips and troubleshooting forum. progeCAD works very similar to some versions of AutoCAD. Moderated.

Moderators: caddit, Moderators

#1878 by cad-assist
Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:56 am
I am advising on modus operandi for a client with an unusual need. They want to place photomaps in CAD and then draw detail on it for their race structures etc. I have found that when I scale-up an inserted photomap (derived from Google Maps) to life size, there are many problems of zooming in and panning. Very often the image area becomes just a white rectangle or other times a black solid rectangle. Regen has no effect. A bit of a nudge with the mouse wheel to zoom out a bit sometimes makes it appear. But it is not good enough to do work with.
A possible remedy might be to go for less than 1:1 life size in Modelspace but that brings difficulties measuring features.
This behaviour might depend on the computer of course. Mine is Win7 32-bit with 4Gb RAM and Nvidia Geforce graphics with 128Mb dedicated graphics RAM.
The inserted image needs to be scaled-up around 100,000 times or so and is quite large in area to start with. My try-out job is a map covering from Frankston to St Kilda.
Any advice?

#1879 by caddit
Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:03 pm
Hi cad-assist,

Definitely to these kinds of very "drawing-specific" support queries, it is best to have the CAD drawing available.

Are you able to send us a copy of this DWG file?

Thanks.
#1883 by cad-assist
Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:20 am
Further to my original query...
I have not had the problem repeat. So perhaps it was caused by progeCAD not releasing memory properly as I had been fiddling around trying things in one long session.
Also, I have decided for this case, it will be better to use drawing-units = metres rather than mm, which makes a 1000 x difference in the effective display size. Metres is the normal way for Civil and Survey work anyway.
So I think the problem needs no response.

#1886 by caddit
Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:46 pm
cad-assist,

Thank you for sending your files. Our lab reports they likewise were unable to re-create the problem, seems to be sequence-specific. Please let us know if you can outline a series of repeatable steps for re-creating the bug, and we will be happy to have another look.