progeCAD support, tips and troubleshooting forum. progeCAD works very similar to some versions of AutoCAD. Moderated.

Moderators: caddit, Moderators

#1663 by jencass
Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:21 am
I know this is a bit plebish but I cannot get progeCad to snap to model space entities whilst in paperspace - it is annoying when trying to dimension model space entities through a viewport in paper space. Is there a system variable that I have missed?

#1669 by caddit
Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:09 am
Dear jencass,

Can you please give a specific example wof what snap you are trying to apply whilst in paperspace?

The current codebase has certain limitations in paperspace and snap, so which snap you are using is important to know...

#1671 by jencass
Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:30 am
Thank you for your prompt response - I am dimensioning the plan view of a marina - the model space drawing is drawn at 1:1 in real world space, in this case, GDA94. As civil designers we endeavour to draw everything at 1:1 in real world coordinates. By using viewports we can alter the scale, rotate the view etc in paper space - it provides us with a lot of flexibility. I cannot snap to any entity drawn in model space from paper space at all! My esnap is set to endpoint and apparent intersection. The entities I am trying to snap to are generally LWpolylines but could be any other entity.

#1676 by wigandrawer
Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:25 pm
hi, i like you draw at 1:1 (as most do) and also like you use paper space to compile all my drawings on the layout tabs.
scaling the v-ports for the different details.
I then add the dimensions and any text on the paper space layouts.
as you enter a dimension you use the snap function to establish the correct dim. this is in paper space and the v-port also in paper space.
you can if you wish change the v-port to model space whilst in paper space and enter a dimesion back on the original model. not quite sure why you would want to do this, you may as well stay in model space and complete your drawing there. but of course one would have to scale up the dims.
as regards not being able to snap whilst in paper space this happens to me alot,
I go to the layer tab at the top and reset(hide or unhide) the v-port layer and it seems to cure it.
another thing to watch out for is sometimes (for me) the v-port view flips from p-space to m-space whilst clicking through from model space to paper space layout to layout and this also sometimes stops the snap command wilst trying to add dims. therefore just keep an eye on the bot right where it indicates the current v-port, also you need to lock your v-ports after deciding on a scale.

#1677 by jencass
Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:45 am
Not sure if you received my reply - it appears that the autoCAD created viewports I make at work have been corrupted or are corrupted when I use progeCAD at home. To fix the problem I simply replaced the original vieports with ones created by progeCAD and everything works fine. I have been transferring drawings between the 2 products for some years now and have not noticed a problem before, certainly not from progeCAD viewports to autoCAD. Thanks for your reply as you gave me a hint as to what may have been happening.