progeCAD support, tips and troubleshooting forum. progeCAD works very similar to some versions of AutoCAD. Moderated.

Moderators: caddit, Moderators

#1111 by beej67
Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:32 am
This is a serious issue with the sort of work I do, and I really need a resolution. I'm in my final 7 days of trial with progeCAD 2010 professional and if I can get it resolved, I'm definitely buying the software, but if I can't, then I'm definitely not.

I'm running the trial version of 10.0.6.23 progeCAD pro, Windows XP, Adobe Standard 8, don't know what else might be relevant. Here's a comprehensive list of my symptoms:

I have 8.5x11 layouts, in which I've drafted a border, and have a single viewport. In model space, I have .tif images inserted and scaled up, and I have drawing entities drawn on top of these .tif images. The .tif images aren't particularly large - 639kb black/white, for instance.

When I go to plot preview and select Adobe PDF as my printer, the viewport doesn't show up at all, neither the image, nor the model space drawing entities, but the paper space drawing entities do preview properly. If I then print, however, the result is a completely blank page.

When I go to plot preview and select a "real" printer (HP Laserjet P1006 for instance) then the paper space entities show up, and after a short wait the viewport entities show up as well, including the image. However, if I print, the result again is a completely blank page.

If I freeze the layer with the image in it, everything works as it should.

If I transfer the image to paper space entirely, delete the viewport, and then draft on top of the image in paper space, then it works. But that sucks because I need the ability to draft like a regular human being without having to scale everything.

I tried using the "ProgeSoft PDF Printer 2010" option, and I get an error message: "Printer not activated, error code -20," then says "could not start print job."

This has happened to me on two completely different drawing files with different images referenced in them, and it's driving me nuts. I'd really rather not buy AutoCAD because they're a bunch of nazis (or worse - expensive nazis) but if I can't get this bug figured out I probably won't have a choice.

I can't imagine that this sort of problem would go unnoticed, but I can't find reference to it using the search function in these forums. Someone please tell me there's a .dll or widget or workaround that fixes this problem.

Thanks in advance.

#1112 by beej67
Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:09 am
Okay, I just took my image and reduced it to a 65k gif, which previewed a lot faster, but when I plotted to PDF it still came out blank.

#1113 by beej67
Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:37 pm
followed the instructions here:

http://www.caddit.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... error+code

To fix the PDF printer module, but I had to find xmllite.dll by hand, and stick it in the PDFADD folder manually before the installation would work.

Still run into some of the above issues, but I am able to print to PDF with the reduced image for now, so my immediate need is fixed. I'd still love to hear someone chime in on some of the other symptoms.
#1117 by caddit
Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:39 am
Hello beej67,

You shouldn't need to move any .dll files on a standard installation.

XmlLite.dll is neither part of progeCAD or a part of the PDF document printer it offers. xmllite.dll is part of the Windows operating system and should be discovered automatically by PDFADD\install.exe under normal circumstances.

Inability to load this dll from its proper location may mean that you need to reinstall the Microsoft XmlLite package (which may also restore needed .dll registrations), it could also indicate a greater problem with your system dll load path configurations..

Regarding your layout previews coming out blank, my experience is that this is often because of mismatched print scale / area selection / units choice (paper can be measured in either mm or inch) / paper size / etc. But since you mention freezing the layer fixes the problem, I doubt this is your case.

Try re-inserting your image differently (if you used direct windows clipboard paste before, this time try the progeSOFT image tool; and vice versa) run "audit" and "purge" then try preview again. Arer you using a special plot style?

#1128 by beej67
Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:17 pm
Reinstalled XmlLite and it works like a dream. Thanks.

#1301 by beej67
Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:43 pm
Bump.

I keep having to do this. Somehow or another my ProgeSoft PDF printer becomes "not activated" semi routinely. It's driving me crazy, because all my work is in PDF.

Any suggestions?
#1304 by caddit
Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:31 am
Hi beej67,

We haven't come accoss this before, can you quantify under what circumstances this occurs?

A full system spec for your PC and network configuration might prove useful. Please also confirm what version of progeCAD you are now using (latest one?)