Personal soap box for CAD designers, travelling professionals and consultants on various random topics of general interest. Moderated.

Moderators: caddit, Moderators

#470 by scanf
Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:35 am
I needed to make a quick call before my international departure from LAX. It's been a while since I have been stuck in the USA with nothing but the local payphone. But since I was with a new carrier that didn't roam in the USA I had no choice (I discovered this first when I got their - the sales staff at Telstra must be mistaken about their plan). But the still coin-operated payphones looked harmless enough - I can't remember a time using one of these ever cost me more than three dollars.

I decided to use a credit card because it was a business call, and I figured I probably would run out of loose change anyway.

A few weeks later we got the charge for my 30 second call back to Sydney - $32.00 and change! At first we thought it was an error, then I did some research and discovered several reports of similar abuse across the net. We decided to file a complaint.

After several months we received a response from "International Calling Services" (BBG Communications) regarding our transaction dispute. It said in part "This was an operator assisted call" and "based on the locations, time and duration of the call ... the charges are correct." Seems to me I finally did have to talk to the operator because the phone was having some kind of problem to make the connection. When I did get through no one as in and I could only leave voice mail anyway. I wish I knew then what I know now about how much they charge for this service!

These phones are really dangerous. It now appears that international phone carriers can charge anything they want. Next time the bill might be $300.00. DON'T USE PAYPHONES IN AMERICAN AIRPORT TERMINALS WITH YOUR CREDIT CARD.

#772 by jimrayner
Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:59 pm
I made the big mistake of using my credit card at LAX and
after much debate with the company I found that i was at the total mercy of the phone company my call cost $80!!
it always is important in these situations to have a calling card