progeCAD support, tips and troubleshooting forum. progeCAD works very similar to some versions of AutoCAD. Moderated.

Moderators: caddit, Moderators

#2227 by Sbeal
Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:20 am
Can you please tell me how I rotate a view within paper space? I have used the help function and all I can see is the 'VIEWCTL' command. I have tried to follow the instructions but I can't seem to get it to do anything. In AutoCAD I think the command was called 'MVSETUP' which allowed you to rotate a view by any angle. Does Progecad have a similar command?
#2231 by caddit
Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:23 am
Dear Sbeal,

This frequent question has been posted here before. VIEWCTL should be pretty straightforward. It works pretty much as ddvpointwould in AutoCAD.

You simply need to make the viewport active before using it, simply by double-clicking inside of it. For example we have the following in model space:

Switching to Paper Space we see a default single full-page viewport with zero degree rotation. We double click INSIDE the viewport so that the viewport border is highlighted as so:

Next we actually go and fire up VIEWCTL. We will turn the plan view 90 degrees about its normal axis (Z in this case):

Remember to click OK or else the preview will revert back to original orientation. After possible zoom-all and manual panning refocus whist still within the viewport, the result should appear as so:

Remember that you will need to double-click OUTSIDE of the viewport to regain control of general paper space.

#2237 by Sbeal
Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:51 am
Thanks for the reply but I still had no luck. The same thing happened as the first time I tried that command. The image only rotates about 15 degrees even though I typed in 90 degrees. I tried the same command on about 5 different drawings and the effect was the same on all.

Regards
Simon

#2240 by caddit
Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:24 pm
Dear Sbeal,

We will have to take a look at what you are doing.

The behaviour your describe is very strange and unique. There is probably something either wrong with your viewport or your model space orientation.

Please send an example file, include any image files, blocks etc (ege ETRANSMIT) to:

PLEASE INCLUDE A STEP BY STEP PROCEDURE to reproduce the problem

Thanks.

#2244 by caddit
Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:56 am
Dear Sbeal,

As we thought, there are several problems with the way that the drawing has been created. Actually, AutoCAD itself produced similar behaviour using the file provided. The main cause is that a large number of overlapping viewports is present. So in your case, double-clicking the viewport you were probably selecting the wrong one without knowing it. All one has to do is delete the duplicate viewports as evidenced in the image below (some information cropped).

There is also a new bug discovered regarding the VIEWCTL dialogue box which we hope to address shortly. It seems in some cases that the default value of 10 degrees is applied the first time no matter what value you type in (it did not happen to us in our demo). You simply need to toggle the appropriate rotation buttons back and forth once before the correct angle which you entered is applied. This is a bug and will be fixed in a future version.

It is very strange to receive a drawing with so many overlapping viewports - you may wish to investigate the origin of the template used here.

#2246 by Sbeal
Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:21 am
Thank you for the response. I am not sure how multiple viewports were created either as I only ever press, 'View', 'Viewports', '1 Viewport' . I have deleted the viewport within this drawing, created a new single viewport and the problem still seems to exist. I tried your idea of toggling the rotation arrow back and forth before changing the angle and unless I am doing it incorrectly, this didn't work either. I have just worked out that it I leave the angle at 10 degrees and keep pressing the arrow, it will rotate to the required angle. This will have to do for the moment until the glitch is fixed.

Regards
Simon