progeCAD support, tips and troubleshooting forum. progeCAD works very similar to some versions of AutoCAD. Moderated.

Moderators: caddit, Moderators

#196 by zoomout
Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:04 am
I'm having problems importing AutoCad's .arg files to progeCAD.
It says:
"the profile file selected is not a valid REGEDIT format file. Cancelling command."
I know you can make progeCAD's layout look like your accustomed AutoCad profile by manually creating a profile, but the reason i'm asking this is that some cad files, especially from consultants, etc. requires us to use their profile for ease of everything.
Thanks.
#198 by scanf
Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:07 am
Hi zoomout,

progeCAD currently doesn't emulate AutoCAD at this level. Both progeCAD and AutoCAD can import and export profiles, but as the two systems are still built differently from each other the option names and config formats won't match.

Frankly there hasn't been much demand for this feature. You can list it on the thread about progeCAD 2009 Professional wish list and try to see how many other users agree with you.
#205 by caddit
Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:45 am
I see another possibility here. Theoretically an interested party could write a program or script that maps between these two formats and does some config file translation. I believe they are both flat text file formats (although maybe 64 bit encoded registry data?) but theoretically a simple translator should work even as a stand alone utility. Theoretically.