progeCAD support, tips and troubleshooting forum. progeCAD works very similar to some versions of AutoCAD. Moderated.

Moderators: caddit, Moderators

#1402 by grclifton
Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:53 pm
I am a new user to progeCAD but a long Acad user. I have been using progeCAD for about a month now and have been exploring the many features of the program. I have been trying to use the Named Views command and have been freezing the program with every try. I zoom to a view I wish to save open the progecad explorer thru the toolbar icon hit the new item button and if I try to rename the view from the default "NEwView..." the main program window freezes and will not respond until I use the Windows Taskmanager to close it. I sometimes can accept the default name and the program will still run until I add another view then if I rename even without spaces in the name it freezes. I am running a Dell Dimension 3000, Pentium 4 2.8 ghz, Windows XP Pro, service Pack 3, 1280 MB Ram.
#1406 by caddit
Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:36 am
Welcome grclifton,

Are you trying to create a named view in an existing CAD file? What system was the DWG file originally created with?

Have you tried first cleaning the drawing with AUDIT and PURGE as suggested here..? Please post the results here..

How are you creating the named view? Using the VIEW command or another way?

How big is the file you are editing? What kind of printers do you have installed?

#1407 by grclifton
Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:08 pm
"Are you trying to create a named view in an existing CAD file? What system was the DWG file originally created with?"

I have tried both new progecad drawings and old AcadLT 2004 drawings. It seems that the freezeup happens when I rename the default name that first appears when a named view is added.

"Have you tried first cleaning the drawing with AUDIT and PURGE as suggested here..? Please post the results here.."

I tried one or the other, probably purge, but to no avail at the time.

"How are you creating the named view? Using the VIEW command or another way?"

I usually use the icon menu for the named views on the views toolbar.

"How big is the file you are editing? What kind of printers do you have installed?"

The file I currently wanted this to work in is only 397 Kb, but I created a new file (progecad) that had a rectangle, a circle and a polygon diamond in it and I had the same freezeup. I did try the progecad support people before my 30 days was up but they had no clue what was going on since they could not replicate the freezeup.
#1408 by caddit
Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:17 pm
grclifton,

We don't always need to reproduce an error to know how to fix it (i.e. if you get an error saying that you are out of disk space, we don't need to reproduce your hard drive to tell you what's wrong) But in many cases its the only way to be sure what's happening is to re-create the error.

Named views are a very old function in progeCAD. They have existed for quite some time and I've not heard of anyone having this kind of "freeze" with them before.

Please confirm that you are trying to rename your view inside progeCAD Explorer (try the VIEW command)

There are several ways to rename a view once it has been created. Click once on the view name label and it will revert to in-place editing mode after approx 1 second (standard system). You can also right-mouse-button click on the view name label and select "Rename". You can also click "Rename" from "Edit" in the top menu of progeCAD Explorer. Try all three methods and see if all three crash.

This sounds like a system error on a very low level, and I would be very surprised if you aren't actually having other strange errors as well.

Have you ever tried a fresh re-install using the latest progeCAD version? You can get it HERE.

#1414 by grclifton
Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:00 pm
I did try the complete uninstall and the reinstall of progecad before starting this thread and I still had the problem. I did another un-reinstall using the link you gave above so I hope this is the solution. I have not been doing much drawing over the holidays but I will put progecad through ""the mill" again to see.

#1569 by grclifton
Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:15 pm
In my last post I said I did a complete uninstall and reinstall with a fresh download of progecad. I have had some time to retry adding named views and I still have progecad freezing up every time I add a new view and rename it from the default name. I'm glad I'm not using progecad to do floor plans or larger projects. For what I'm using progecad for I can tolerate not having the named views command but it still should work.