progeCAD support, tips and troubleshooting forum. progeCAD works very similar to some versions of AutoCAD. Moderated.

Moderators: caddit, Moderators

#1397 by chenz
Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:04 pm
Hello, my name is Cristiano and I am learning design with progecad. I know to design in 2d, but I have great difficulty in design 3d. I would like know what is the difference between 3d entities and surfaces? When should I use one and other?

Thanks all,

Cristiano

[/i]
#1399 by caddit
Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:20 pm
Hello chenz,

progeCAD "surface" entities use a much older, simpler basis for 3D design in progeCAD created with empty wireframe.

Wireframe constructions has its primary use in creating 3D architectural and landscape mockups of great complexity but lacking detailed accuracy - (especially in curvature approximations) mainly for depiction and rendering/presentation purposes.

Starting with AutoCAD R13, Autodesk began to license the NURBs-based 3D solid modeling kernel ACIS from Spatial (now part of Dassault) for creating manufacturable 3D parts that were more accurate -especially when designing complex surface curvatures. progeCAD has similarly offered both systems of 3D design in progeCAD Professional for several years now.

We have had several requests for a 3D tutorial and are currently working on one for progeCAD.