progeCAD support, tips and troubleshooting forum. progeCAD works very similar to some versions of AutoCAD. Moderated.

Moderators: caddit, Moderators

#1291 by riroko2
Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:52 pm
I've noticed that ProgeCad 2010 can't open dwg-files by double clicking the file in the Windows-Explorer if the Path-Name contains multiple spaces, e.g. C:\Client Jobs\file.dwg (note, that there are 2 spaces between Client and Jobs).

It works regardless with any older version of ProgeCad (2009, 2008, ...).

Double-clicking to open files works fine with ProgeCad 2010, if there is only one space between any other characters in the path-name.
#1294 by scanf
Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:57 pm
Hello riroko2,

Sorry we didn't reply earlier, but we have been working on an an important update for this software. We have just uploaded progeCAD 10.0.12.4 on CADDIT.net so please make sure that you software is updated and try again.

We have not been able to repeat your problem on our lab systems since the update, but if you continue to have problems it might be good to know what version of Windows that you are using.

#1311 by riroko2
Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:04 am
I've updated to 10.0.12.4 now, but I'm still having the problem.

I'm getting the message in the command bar:

Command : _OPEN
Drawing name: X:/CLIENT
Unable to find drawing "X:/CLIENT .DWG".

For some reason though, I was able to open a file from a different folder, with the same parent folder "Client Jobs". So I'm not quite sure, but it seems to be not always the case. But for me it's happening for most of my drawings, because they are in that same parent folder.

#1314 by caddit
Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:22 pm
Hi riroko2,

You sure present us with some unique problems :) once again this can't be duplicated so far.

Is X: a network drive? Is it compressed? What server software are you running - Windows or Samba (Linux)?

What are the local AND sharing permissions on this drive and directory? Is it VFAT or NTFS? (or something else even?)

Where did the space between "X:/CLIENT" and ".DWG" come from?

#1316 by riroko2
Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:08 pm
Yes, X: is a network drive, not compressed, running Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit. I've got full permission on everything and the drives are NTFS.

But anyway. It hasn't got anything to do with the network drive. It also happens if I create a directory called "Client Jobs" (with two spaces) on my C: drive.

I told you before, that some files are working and some files are not. I've done a bit more testing. I've copied some of the files onto my harddrive under
C:\Client Jobs\
(two spaces)

If ProgeCad2010 is not open and then I double click one of those files in the Windows Explorer, the file opens!!! If I try and double click the next file it comes up with

Command : _OPEN
Drawing name: C:/Client
Unable to find drawing "C:/Client .DWG".

In this case the file I tried to open was called
C:\Client Jobs\KP04to09.dwg

I guess that's where the spaces in the error message come from.

I've tried with three files in that folder. Any of the files opens, if I open it first thing. If there was already a file open, it comes up with "unable to find".

If I'm deleting the second space in the folder name, there is no problem at all. All three files open at any time.

I know it is not a major problem, but I thought it's interesting for you to know.

#1321 by riroko2
Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:31 am
open
selected "D:\Download\My Test\Clouds.dwg" (note double space)
file opens without problem

?

As described above: I can open one file alright, but as soon as I want to open a second file by double clicking, it doesn't open, if it has double spaces in the file-name/-path.

#1322 by caddit
Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:24 am
As described above: I can open one file alright, but as soon as I want to open a second file by double clicking, it doesn't open, if it has double spaces in the file-name/-path.

So, we are actually talking about two file names, each with a double-space within either the filename or path, and then opening the one after the other, right? I'm not sure who would actually want to do that, but anyway still not repeating here:

Code: Select allopen
selected "D:\Download\My Test\Clouds.dwg" (note double space)
file opens without problem
open
selected "D:\Download\My Test2\Clouds .dwg" (note double space & naughty space at end of file name)
second file opens without problem

I now have both "D:\Download\My Test\Clouds.dwg" and "D:\Download\My Test2\Clouds .dwg" both open without issue.

I suggest we leave this for now, until someone else can repeat it and we can find a common denominator what might be causing this. I suspect that it is OS-releated rather than progeCAD releated.