progeCAD support, tips and troubleshooting forum. progeCAD works very similar to some versions of AutoCAD. Moderated.

Moderators: caddit, Moderators

#118 by Richard Relph
Wed May 28, 2008 10:29 am
I have just upgraded to Vista so that I can use 4mg of ram ( silly me) Now every thing is running slooow. I am fed up with not responding messages. When running in administrator it appears to be better but with a large drawing saving and closing are so slooow. Any suggestions?
#119 by caddit
Wed May 28, 2008 12:14 pm
Before we continue, please note:
http://Draftsperson.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1325#1325

Actually and contrary to some comments, progeCAD in test environment normally opens/saves at least 4-5% faster than XP. There are also observations of greater stability with large files and graphics. No joke :o

It would be good to know more about your problem. Is your system custom built or off-the-shelf? HP? Acer? Dell? Did you just recently upgrade the RAM, too? Do all RAM chips have matching speeds? What kind of graphics card do you have precisely? How badly fragmented is you hard disk since your "upgrade"? etc...

What is your version of progeCAD? 8.0.18.18 (latest)?

Also, tell us what kind of prinetr you have (make, model, connection type), as this can have a bearing on speed. One reason is that Open ODA libraries try to get information about latest printer used in each layout.

Also confirm that you are not trying to open/save this file to a network, compressed, virtual or encrypted drive.

How well do other large graphics applications open/save (such as GIMP, Photoshop or Visio)

#121 by Richard Relph
Thu May 29, 2008 7:08 am
The system is a made to order with an intel core 2 quad processor 2.4 GHZ now 4meg of ram all purchased at the same time. Video card Nvidia Quadro FX 550. I think I agree with the comment about Vista, also I use a lighting design software which is also running very very slow. The reason I changed to Vista was to use the 4 meg of ram, xp can only manage 2. My video editing software was running fine with XP I havn't tried it yet with Vista. When I did a test with components in Vista I got a score of 5 with 5.9 being the top. If I didn't know better I would assume the computer is running in safe mode. I think I will be going back to XP if I can't sort this out, all that reinstalling!!

#122 by Richard Relph
Thu May 29, 2008 7:11 am
The version is 8.0.18.18 the printers I have 2 an old HP 1200 c and a Canon IP4300

#123 by Richard Relph
Thu May 29, 2008 8:09 am
I have just turned of the UAC which is a Vista thing and the complete system is now working better than in XP. I wonder what the UAC does
#132 by tam2008
Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:42 am
Tell me were I'm going wrong
I've downloaded the trail version of progeCAD 2008. When I download the try version I turn off the virus protection software and savd it to a disk and installed it from the disk, advised from cadd IT. But Vista and ProgeCAD just don't get along, well not on my pc any. My computer is more then capably to handly the graphics, but it still crashes which cores me great pain.
If your got some helpful hits, I'd be grateful for some advice.

:roll: :lol:
#133 by caddit
Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:35 am
Hi tam2008,

We will need all the information about your problem. What kind of crash is happening? Is it a full system crash or just proegCAD crash?

Please see my earlier post at http://www.caddit.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=132#118 regarding posting problems with Vista.

Thanks.