progeCAD support, tips and troubleshooting forum. progeCAD works very similar to some versions of AutoCAD. Moderated.

Moderators: caddit, Moderators

#1024 by The Dude
Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:19 pm
Hello, i'm new to progeCAD and have a question. I have learned cad-drawing at college with RoboCAD. Pretty basic program but it did his job. Since it's no longer available i got a suggestion to use Progecad instead.
I've bought one from a dude in the uk but the manual is in english. What i need to know is how to measure entities and how i place the measurement (excample 2,58 m) on the drawing. With robocad i just needed to click point a - b and that's it but progecad seems a bit different. So if someone can tell me how to do that i'ld be very thankfull.

chrz
the dude
#1025 by caddit
Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:43 pm
Welcome The Dude,

Drawing and design measurement, dimensioning and detailing in progeCAD follows a similar procedure as with Autodesk's product. There are usually three ways to engage the same command -> command line (white text box at the bottom), main menu (usually along the top), and via the various toolbars. These drawing commands should help:

dist = (also "Tools" -> "Inquiry" -> "Distance"; or the first icon on the INQUIRY toolbar) This command will return the distance between two points (you can also use grid & snap options in this..)

dim = starts progeCAD dimensioning command mode. Here are some links for examples:
Creating Aligned Dimensions in progeCAD
Creating Horizontal or Vertical DimensionsOther examples listed here
This is also in the progeCAD Help file of your own installation ("F1" Key).

I suggest maybe you also have a read of our brief progeCAD Tutorial and maybe the progeCAD eBook for beginners. If you are in Australia we also offer classes..

Thank you for giving us a try. One advantage with progeCAD you will discover is the high compatibility working with AutoCAD files.
#1026 by The Dude
Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:45 am
Thnx very much caddit

the "dimaligned" command is what i needed :D
say... how do i specify the height of the numbers ?
it's a bit small...
i've been looking everywhere at the options but can't seem to find it.

thnx in advance
the dude
#1027 by caddit
Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:32 pm
Hello,

Changing the Text Height attribute with an override value can be easily done from the new progeCAD 2010 Property Palette, or from ENTPROP - click "Dimension Settings.." -> "Text" tab as shown below:

This is called an "override value" because it asks progeCAD to override the default value of "Text Height" as defined in the Dimension Style used by that dimension.

In progeCAD (and AutoCAD) text and dimensions use styles to generally control their appearance, including text font, height, etc. A fundamental concept in AutoCAD detail drawing is creation of text and dimension styles appropriate to your drawing, to be used throughout. In each new drawing text and dimensions start with a Style called "Default", but of course the idea is to define your own - which gets saved in the drawing (or the .DWT template file)

I suggest you review the the progeCAD eBook, specifically p. 174-179 which includes a brief discussion about Dimension Styles. If you have questions don't hesitate to ask.
#1029 by The Dude
Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:27 pm
Hi caddit,

thnx for the response...
the "entprop" is what i needed
thnx to you i've been able to create my first drawing with progecad.
A pretty simple but essential floorplan of my soon to be musicstudio.

At first i thought i'ld never be able to comprehend this program.
But hey, 2 commands later i've got the hang of it.

thnx for the really big help,
the dude