progeCAD support, tips and troubleshooting forum. progeCAD works very similar to some versions of AutoCAD. Moderated.

Moderators: caddit, Moderators

#956 by FLOEHRIE
Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:39 am
Hello and Help!!!!

I'm working since January with ProgeCad and I have problems in paperspace. Whenever I want to scale my viewports the program crashes.

I think I'm doing the right thing by doing the following :
modify, click on the viewport, and for the scale of 1:250 I type in 0.004, confirm and either the drawing is gone or the whole thing crashes.

What do I do wrong?

Please help

FLOEHRIE
#957 by caddit
Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:15 pm
Hi FLOEHRIE,

Can I ask if you are using progeCAD 2009 or progeCAD 2010 now? On which Operating System (which version of windows)?

The drawing itself might be corrupt, see what happens when you run the "audit" and "purge" commands

We might need to see a copy of this drawing to reproduce your problem.
#958 by FLOEHRIE
Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:48 pm
caddit wrote:Hi FLOEHRIE,

Can I ask if you are using progeCAD 2009 or progeCAD 2010 now? On which Operating System (which version of windows)?

The drawing itself might be corrupt, see what happens when you run the "audit" and "purge" commands

We might need to see a copy of this drawing to reproduce your problem.

Thank you , for answering so quickly.

I tried it with 2009 and with 2010. 2010 seems to be even worse. But I must admit I haven't had time to look into 2010 properly, so I keep working with 2009 at the moment.
I use Windows Vista.

I mangaged scale 1:100 if I was lucky. I tried this with different files. no success at all if I try different scales.
I'm not so sure what 'audit' and 'purge' does.
I need to update my skills a bit, sorry.
Anything you can do with this information? Or do you need my file?

Regards Birgit
#959 by caddit
Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:51 pm
Hi FLOEHRIE,

AUDIT and PURGE are DWG file housekeeping commands for cleaning up mistakes in progeCAD memory, with object parameters that sometimes creep into AutoCAD/progeCAD drawing files. The information about AUDIT and PURGE are in the progeCAD online help and PDF manual, you can also read about them here:

AUDIT:
http://help.caddit.net/progecad.php?kb=ICR_3-C11a

PURGE:
http://help.caddit.net/progecad.php?kb=ICR_M-P278

Please press F2 (for prompt history window), run "AUDIT", select copy and paste the results to this discussion please.

Meanwhile, please go ahead and send you problem drawing to:
I should mention that we just finished a class here where some students worked a great deal with viewport scales, I didn't notice any significant problems.

Thanks.

#962 by FLOEHRIE
Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:26 am
Hello caddit
Thanks again. here are the results:

Adeko Raster loaded.
Command : _-vbaload
Command : _menuload
Menu name, or . for none: C:\Program Files\Print3D Corporation\Print3D for progeCAD\Print3D.mnu
Print3D for progeCAD loaded...
Loading sds_imagelt.dll
Loading Converter... done.
EcwManager loaded.
Layer management loaded.
Loading QDIM application.
Command :
Command : _OPEN
Adeko Raster loaded.
Command : _menuload
Menu name, or . for none: C:\Program Files\Print3D Corporation\Print3D for progeCAD\Print3D.mnu
Print3D for progeCAD loaded...
Loading sds_imagelt.dll
EcwManager loaded.
Layer management loaded.
Command : _-vbaload
Command : '_ZOOM
Zoom: In/oUt/All/Center/Extents/Left/Previous/Right/Window/Object/Dynamic/<Scale (nX/nXP)>: _E
Command : '_PMTHIST
Command : audit
Fix any errors detected? [Yes/No] <N>: y
AcDbHatch(57A0), Associative flag is true but associative objects are missing, Validation: <Invalid>, Replaced by: <Set to False>.
AcDbHatch(57A7), Associative flag is true but associative objects are missing, Validation: <Invalid>, Replaced by: <Set to False>.
AcDbHatch(57AB), Associative flag is true but associative objects are missing, Validation: <Invalid>, Replaced by: <Set to False>.
6346 objects audited C:\Users\Birgit\Architecture\Drawings\Rhodes\3 Rhodes DA.dwg Fri Mar 05 09:33:49 2010
Total errors found during audit 3, fixed 3

Regards

Birgit
#984 by caddit
Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:02 pm
Hi FLOEHRIE,

We have had a look at the drawing which you have sent us, both in progeCAD and AutoCAD 2010 itself and see very similar results in both programs with this file.

It is possible that the original viewports were not correct.

Also the paper size did not seem correctly adjusted for the paperspace view. Have you been to one of our classes in your area?

#993 by cad-assist
Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:40 pm
When setting viewport scale you can enter it like 1/20 instead of calculating 0.05, in that example. The system will work the decimal fraction out itself. It's always wise to lock the viewport scale, but that also locks pan as well as zoom, so position the centre as desired first.
#1005 by FLOEHRIE
Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:12 am
Thank you for the hints.

No, I haven't been to any of your classes. I think I will though as soon as the next one is on in Newcastle or Sydney. The last program before I worked with ProgeCad was Autocad 97. So I think there might have been quite a few changes since then.

But meanwhile I really need to continue with my drawings.

The layouts which every new created drawing contains have one viewport open allready (scale 0.0001). How can the original viewports not be correct?
I will then adjust papersize for my drawing. Then I continue to scale the viewport.
What else do I need to do? Is there something I overlook?

It seems that in none of my drawings I can work in paperspace.

Any advice until the next class starts?

#1006 by cad-assist
Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:36 am
It sounds to me like you'd be better off changing the main programme options to not auto-create a viewport in new paperspace layouts, and then do so manually each time.

In Paperspace, use View menu, Create Viewport. Always create a single rectangular viewport by clicking the top-left & bottom-right corners where you want it. Avoid using MSPACE and avoid the multiple viewport options or the Fit option - I find they create difficulties.

That immediately fills the new viewport with whatever exists in ModelSpace at whatever peculiar scale is needed to do so. So you then need to scale the viewport and pan its contents to get what you want to see filling it. You might also need to drag its corners to clip off stuff you don't want visible at the desired scale, or to extend it to include all thats needed.

To set the scale, click the viewport outline in PS and set the scale in Properties. To pan around double-click in the viewport so you are working in MS inside it, and use Pan. Don't use Zoom or it will muck up the scale.
You may need to go back and check the scale setting after panning around.

Having got the contents visible as desired and at the desired scale, go to VP properties again and Lock the viewport scale. Otherwise it is too easily messed up accidentally.

When all is organised, you can make the VP outline vanish by putting it on a turned-off layer, or better, keep it visible on screen but put it on a layer that is set to not print.

Be sure to use Page Setup for each PS Layout before doing any of the above and to select a printer for each Layout. Peculiar things can happen if no printer is selected. It can be a non-physical printer such as the ProgeCAD PDF printer. That's a good default if the DWG is likely to be moved between computers that have differing real printers installed. Also it is vital to select a PlotStyle table.

If you have the default colours and options for paperspace it will show a white paper area and a dark background. If any of your viewports and drawn data run off the white paper area, things are not going to work right. In that case you need to use Page Setup to set a larger sheet size or use smaller viewports etc. Everything must be on the white paper.

#1007 by cad-assist
Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:41 am
PS - Also check that you have everything set to metric. That default 0.0001 scale you mentioned could indicate some inappropriate settings.
Remember the plot scale must always be set to 1:1 from paperspace - that's the main idea of paperspace. Any scaling is done in the VP scale.

#1008 by FLOEHRIE
Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:18 pm
Thank you so much for your quick help.

Just one more question. Where do I change the main program options to not auto-create a viewport?

#1009 by cad-assist
Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:12 pm
Ummm...
I was thinking of AutoCAD. I cannot find any option in ProgeCAD for setting whether or not a viewport is automatically created in a new layout. However, you can of course delete the one it creates for you and create your own. Or you could drag its corners to change it to the size, shape and position you want. I presume progeSoft make it create a viewport for you to avoid the effect that often alarms AutoCAD users, of all your work vanishing when you change to a new layout.
#1010 by FLOEHRIE
Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:35 pm
Thanks again!

It works!!!!
I deleted the auto-viewport, set printer and papersize and then created my own viewport and scaled it.
Wonderful!!!

But so far I have only qsaved in modelspace. because it used to crash before whenever I tried to qsave in paperspace. I am just playing it save at the moment.

Thank you so much

#1011 by cad-assist
Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:48 pm
I shouldn't make any difference what workspace you are "in" when you save. The same thing happens either way - all spaces get saved together. Just pick Save from the file menu. If it does crash when you are in PS and not when in MS, then I suggest you uninstall progeCAD, reboot twiddle your thumbs a bit, then reinstall progeCAD as it must have got messed up.