progeCAD support, tips and troubleshooting forum. progeCAD works very similar to some versions of AutoCAD. Moderated.

Moderators: caddit, Moderators

#922 by paocad
Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:27 pm
Good Morning all,

We have just converted from AutoCAD 2002 to ProgeCAD 2009 PRO, so far everything is good.

I was wondering about the freehand sketch tool though. I draw a lot of building footprints and would like to use this feature but can't figure out how to harness it.

I'd like it to draw straight lines and angled lines of specified length even though when I draw it might not be straight; is this possible?

I would like to use it as almost a snap-to kind of feature. Maybe there is a LISP available for this sort of thing.

Thanks in advance for any help.
#925 by caddit
Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:50 pm
Welcome paocad,

progeCAD freehand sketch function is pretty simple:

Step 1: draw a sample length of line to correspond to the resolution of the freehand line placement.

Step 2: toggle the L mouse button for start/stop of creating a freehand series of line segments which match the initial sample length.

"I'd like it to draw straight lines and angled lines of specified length even though when I draw it might not be straight; is this possible?"

straight lines are kind of reverse concept from freehand, may I ask how what you want would differ from just using the normal line command with ORTHO on (in the status bar)? For "snap-to" see ESNAP settings in progeCAD.

#933 by paocad
Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:14 am
I'm basically looking for a way to draw a footprint with my stylus on my tablet. I'd like to be able to say 10 and then draw line that long.
#934 by caddit
Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:54 am
Hi paocad,

As a point of interest, AutoCAD has always been optimally a two-handed op, one for mouse click and navigation while using the other for keyboard command and input. progeCAD follows AutoCAD in same style.

That being said, you could use the sketch command as described, although you may need to restart it several times if you decide to change lengths. I suggest you experiment with LINE and SKETCH while trying different settings of SNAP, GRID and ESNAP and develop a technique that works best for you.