progeCAD support, tips and troubleshooting forum. progeCAD works very similar to some versions of AutoCAD. Moderated.

Moderators: caddit, Moderators

#385 by Richard Relph
Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:48 am
I am having a problem importing PDF drawings which hasn't happened in the past. The drawing comes in as a raster image which of course is not editabl. I am using progeCAD pro version 8.0.22.18. I am sure it is me??
#386 by caddit
Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:05 am
Hello Richard Relph,

Some more information?

1) Has anything changed in your progeCAD software, or in your Windows configuration (including installing new software) since you last successfully imported a PDF file to progeCAD?

2) Can you still import the PDF files successfully which you could before?

3) Is there anything significantly different about this particular PDF file you want to import? Has it come from a different source that the others? Was it created differently?

Looking forward to your answers.

#403 by Richard Relph
Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:08 pm
It appears that I have to learn about PDF security and if any one can give me any tips please do so. PDF drawings received from a particular sorce are fine they import and can be scaled and treated as if they were a drawing prepared by myself. However any drawings which I scan myself when imported are only am image which is not editable. I have read the widows help on PDF security but I am afraid it is all double Dutch to me. Canon ( the brand of scanner) is of no help.
#408 by caddit
Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:48 am
Hello Richard,

PDF drawings received from a particular source are fine they import and can be scaled and treated as if they were a drawing prepared by myself. However any drawings which I scan myself when imported are only am image which is not editable.

This definitely explains why some PDF drawings are converting into progeCAD while others are not.

It would be pretty hard for me to guess what exactly is so different about your CANNON images as opposed to the PDF you receive from 'your source', but if you can open the PDF files it creates in Adobe Acrobat software without entering a password I doubt PDF security is at issue.

There is more likely something amiss with the image itself that is embedded in the CANNON PDF. Compare one from each, side by side and see if you notice any difference in "cleanliness", line weights etc.

Raster to vector conversion is a bit of an art and sometimes requires several trials and readjustments, see the CAD E-Book about CAD design.