progeCAD support, tips and troubleshooting forum. progeCAD works very similar to some versions of AutoCAD. Moderated.

Moderators: caddit, Moderators

#32 by zoltan
Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:25 am
We are currently using ProgeCAD in a trail basis in our firm, so far we have found it easy to use and the down time is minimal.

Two things which we have found are frustrating so far,

When we insert blocks, ProgeCAD seems to take a long time to process the information and many times it has crashed, we thought it could have been a one time off situation but the same thing keeps happening.

Don't know if any one else has this problem?

Secondly, in paper space when we do dimensioning to a drawing, the entity snap modes are supposed to lock in to the selected lines and produce a dimension line , this does not happen. Autocad locks in immediately to the lines and dimensioning can be done quite quickly.

We have tried several ways of fixing this problem, using Autocad setting as examples but it doesn't fix the problem.
Are we doing something wrong or does ProgeCAD lack this option??

#33 by caddit
Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:32 am
For the first problem, is it possible to send us a file demonstrating the problem (also the block(s) you are trying to insert?

#34 by zoltan
Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:39 am
The files are Capral blocks ,
they are sections of aluminium extrusions.
We do commercial glazing systems.

Have to admit they are quite old cad blocks,
they came in disk form from the suppliers for cad users,
they could be release 13 autocad files,
but this should not be a problem, i think ??
#35 by caddit
Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:48 am
I am not sure. Best to send a sample DWG and some of these older blocks wrapped in a zip file.

#36 by zoltan
Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:51 am
OK , i'll do that,

but more importantly , can you give me some insight into my second problem regarding the dimensioning.

its very important that we get the dimensioning perfect, and i don't see it happening just yet.

thanks
#38 by caddit
Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:19 am
eSnap is tricky when blocks, especially nested blocks are involved. We are SERIOUSLY looking at improving the performance and you should see some improvement already in 8.0.15.

Some background:
AutoCAD still has some unique features. An important one is multithreading. This enables AutoCAD to carry out several subprocesses (database hash lookups, cursor tracking and display updating, for example) all simultaneously and asyncronously from the other.

Until now, ALL INTELLICAD PRODUCTS are single threaded. This means that progeCAD has to "stop and think" each time you need to snap to something inside a block. Slightly longer for something inside a nested block. Slightly longer for nested blocks re-displayed in a layout viewport. Etc.

I can't say much more (we have our secrets :) but believe WE ARE WORKING ON IT and you should see serious improvement soon.

#39 by zoltan
Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:09 am
:D

THANK YOU ,

for the reply, we appreciate it.

Keep up the good work.
#40 by caddit
Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:45 am
Please don't forget to send us a zipped collection of your DWG and some old blocks you are using, so we can see if we can duplicate the first error you discussed.

#43 by progesoft
Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:46 am
Zoltan,
please send these files. We're already working on ESNAP and we want to test our changes.

About dimension in paper space can you attach a file also for this problem?

Thanks

Gabriele

#44 by zoltan
Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:36 pm
yes no worries, but i need to know where and to whom i need to send it off too. :?: :?

#45 by caddit
Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:42 pm
i need to know where and to whom

You send them to Ben.