progeCAD support, tips and troubleshooting forum. progeCAD works very similar to some versions of AutoCAD. Moderated.

Moderators: caddit, Moderators

#333 by bmironov
Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:26 am
Hello,

I'm newbie to 3D modeling and looking for solution how to put dimensions for 3D solid object (eg, torus). I use progeCAD 2008 Pro evaluation version.

My problem is to show radius of the object. When I use Dimension > Diameter and pick the object, it says that "An arc or circle is needed here". Documentation that comes with the product is not providing solution (neither 700+ pages PDF, nor internal help available via F1).

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot.

#337 by van
Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:50 am

#338 by bmironov
Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:44 am
Thank you Van for your quick reply.

I found that linear dimensions work perfectly. I mean that progeCAD 2008 feels 3D solid object and helps with snapping exact locations. I just wanted to avoid using Linear dimensions to present radius / diameter. Hopefully it could be fixed soon.
#343 by caddit
Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:16 pm
Hi bmironov,

progeCAD solids is a BREP, not a parametric solid modeler. progeCAD 3D solids are with Dassault's ACIS libraries, and ACIS uses NURBS curves for their topologies. Therefore progeCAD can create and edit these solids through the ACIS modeler commands, but it does not hold any parametric "knowledge" or "history" (what was originally created as a cylinder with a radius, etc) to associate any dimensioning to. progeCAD only sees a collective manifold body of splines and surfaces.

You can "explode" ACIS cylinders back into two circles, but this is obviously not what most people want.

Some options in this area might present themselves when we go over to DRX architecture soon, but not yet.